Local News

Child killed, father burned in Fayetteville fire

A 3-year-old girl died Sunday night when a fire swept through a duplex off Murchison Road in Fayetteville, authorities said.

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A 3-year-old girl died Sunday night when a fire swept through a duplex off Murchison Road, authorities said.

Nevaeh Pratt was pronounced dead at the scene, and her father, Kenneth Pratt, 38, suffered third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body, authorities said.

He was taken to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, where he was listed in critical condition Monday.

A neighbor said she saw flames coming from the duplex at 1517 Sisal Drive at about 8 p.m. Sunday and tried to rescue the father and daughter.

"I tried to go over there and kick the door in, but something was blocking the door," Montez Avant said.

Investigators said the fire started in the kitchen, but they hadn't pinpointed a cause by Monday afternoon.

Nevaeh Pratt's aunt, Bianca Edwards, said she thinks a faulty stove started the fire.

Relatives called the girl a "miracle child," Edwards said, because she had been born prematurely and wasn't expected to live. Nevaeh is "heaven" spelled backwards, she said.

"It was a good chance she wasn't going to make it, but she did," Edwards said. "She was happy. She was a happy little girl."

"She was just so sweet, and she was a good child," neighbor Cristal Rodriguez said.

Neither Edwards, who lives in the adjoining unit in the duplex, nor Nevaeh's mother was home at the time of the fire.



Bryan Mims, Reporter
Michael Joyner, Photographer
Matthew Burns, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.