Man charged in slaying is suspect in two other attacks
Posted March 4, 2009 1:21 p.m. EST
Updated March 4, 2009 1:49 p.m. EST
Wilson, N.C. — A Wilson man charged in the stabbing death of a woman last summer has been charged in the attacks of two other women, authorities said.
Richard Wayne Sauls, 31, of 5011 Boswellville Road, was charged last week in the stabbing death of Roberta Ann Fulghum, 45. He was being held without bond Wednesday in the Wilson County Jail.
A pedestrian found Fulghum's body on July 29 in a ravine north of Sims, and authorities said she had been stabbed multiple times in the chest, abdomen and left leg.
On Tuesday, Sauls was charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping and one count each of first-degree sex offense, attempted first-degree sex offense, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
The latest charges stem from attacks on prostitutes in November 2006 and last July, authorities said.
In the 2006 case, a man picked up a prostitute and drove to a location in Wilson County, where he pulled a knife on her and forced her to undress, authorities said. The woman was able to escape unharmed, they said.
In the 2008 case, the man forced a prostitute at knife-point to have sex with him, and he then stole her jewelry and cell phone, authorities said. The woman was stabbed during the incident, but authorities didn't disclose the severity of the wounds.
Authorities have declined to say what evidence linked Sauls to the three crimes.