Local News

Man charged in Raleigh cinema shooting, Wake Forest robbery

Posted October 25, 2008 6:42 p.m. EDT
Updated October 26, 2008 7:27 p.m. EDT

— The search continued Sunday for a suspect in a fatal shooting at a Wakefield Commons movie theater in north Raleigh.

At about 10 p.m., a masked man armed with a handgun walked up to the ticket booth of the Marquee Cinemas Theater, 10600 Common Oaks Drive.

The suspect announced a robbery and then shot the theater's manager, police said. Manager Mark Douglas Buhaug, 48, was transported to WakeMed, where he later died.

“The guy just shot at him for nothing, because he didn't have any money. No money to give him," said Gladys Buhaug, victim's mother.

The suspect fled the scene.

Detectives obtained an arrest warrant charging Anthony Joseph Bimbo, 40, of Orchard Oriole Trail in Wake Forest, with Buhaug's death.

Wake Forest police also named Bimbo a suspect in a separate robbery that occurred Saturday morning. He faces charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon in that case.

Bimbo remained at large Sunday morning. He was considered armed and dangerous, police said. Bimbo is white, 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs about 215 pounds.

Jason Anthony Zilinski, 18, and Ryan Michael Becker, 19, were also charged with murder in connection with Buhaug's slaying. Zilinski and Becker were students at WakeTech, officials said.  They were transported to the Wake County Jail Saturday evening.

Anyone with information about Bimbo’s whereabouts is asked to call the Raleigh Police Department’s Detective Division at 919- 996-3555 or Crime Stoppers at 919-226-CRIME.

Buhaug, who was from Minnesota, is survived by three brothers and three sisters.

Gladys Buhaug, 86, said her son went through an Advanced Animation Program before taking the cinema manager job. He had lived and worked in Raleigh for 10 years but will be buried in Minnesota.

"He was a very nice guy. A nice person. He would give you his shirt," Gladys Buhaug said.

Marquee Cinemas planned to release a statement Monday. A company spokesperson said employees were given counseling and offered time off if they needed it.