Two sought in Raleigh store robbery, fatal shootout
Posted October 3, 2008 4:08 p.m. EDT
Updated October 3, 2008 6:12 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Police on Friday were searching for two men involved in a Thursday night robbery in which one suspected robber was killed.
Authorities were trying to determine if the men were responsible for other holdups.
Three men entered the Tienda Hispana Mi Barrio II, at 3913 Western Blvd., and tried to rob a clerk, police said. The clerk pulled out a handgun and exchanged gunfire with one of the suspected robbers, police said.
The clerk and the gunman each fired at least one shot, police said, and the gunman was hit. He died at the scene.
The clerk and another store employee weren't injured. No customers were in the store at the time.
The other two robbers fled the scene.
Police were trying to identify the three men Friday. They released images from a store security camera of the three, but declined to disclose which one had been killed, saying they haven't notified family members because they don't know who he is.
Garner police were working with Raleigh investigators to determine if the suspected robbers were linked to other holdups in recent weeks.
Two men robbed an Exxon convenience store on U.S. Highway 70 on Sept. 23 and the White Oak Mart on White Oak Road on Sept. 26. There have been several other robberies in Wake County, too, authorities said.
Anyone who can identify any of the three men or might have other information about the Tienda Hispana case is asked to call the Raleigh Police Department's Detective Division at 919-890-3555 or Crime Stoppers at 919-226-CRIME.