Local News

Police: Robbery, murder suspect considered very dangerous

Posted September 16, 2008 3:15 p.m. EDT
Updated September 16, 2008 8:53 p.m. EDT

— Police said Tuesday that a man they believe is behind seven business robberies and a store clerk's slaying often does surveillance on places he plans to rob and should be considered very dangerous.

“We want the businesses to be aware that you may see this individual a day or two before a robbery is committed – possibly casing the business,” Raleigh Police Department Sgt. Kevin Carswell said.

Carswell warned the suspect may enter the business and not buy anything, instead looking around before leaving.

The suspect has been described as a black man with a light to medium complexion. He appears to be about 5-foot-11 with an athletic build.

Police believe the same suspect is responsible for the shooting death of Trade Wilco convenience store clerk Stephanie Anderson in April and the shooting of an employee at the Mexico Lindo check-cashing business on Wake Forest Road in Raleigh last week.

Modesta Fernandez-Lucas, 25, was shot multiple times in the Sept. 10 robbery. She was treated at WakeMed for non-life-threatening injuries.

“She’s so lucky. I can’t understand how she is alive,” Mexico Lindo owner Fernando Carcias said.

The check-cashing store has 16 cameras that cover the store from nearly every angle.

Surveillance video from the Mexico Lindo robbery showed a man dressed in green camouflage entering the business. A mask covered the lower half of his face, and he carried a handgun. He shot Lucas multiple times, then jumped over the counter, police said. He fled on foot.

On Tuesday, a bullet hole could still be seen at Lucas’ work station.

Carcias said he is upgrading security even more following the robbery.

Authorities believe the suspect could also be the same man in several other robberies earlier this year. He is suspected of robbing three Subway restaurants – on  Durant Road, Capital Boulevard and Six Forks Road –  between January and early May.

The suspect may also be responsible for the armed robberies of a Bojangles’ restaurant in early June and the Capital Food Mart, at 2929 Capital Blvd., on May 24, authorities said.

A reward will be provided for information that materially assists the investigation of the case. A special tipline was set up to handle calls 24 hours a day. To report a tip call, 919-227-6220.

WilcoHess, which operates the convenience store where Anderson worked, has also offered a $25,000 reward in the case.