Child home after being shot during domestic dispute
Posted August 8, 2008 4:39 p.m. EDT
Updated August 8, 2008 6:00 p.m. EDT
Nashville, N.C. — An 11-year-old boy is back at home after being accidently shot while his parents argued last weekend, authorities said.
Delaney Drake was shot Aug. 2 after his parents, Bobby and Bonaga Renee Drake, got into a domestic dispute at their home at 2593 West Castalia Road around 4:45 p.m., investigators said.
Bonaga Drake, 46, grabbed a gun and threatened to kill herself. The threat was likely an attempt to get attention, said Lt. P.J. Joyner, with the Nash County Sheriff's Office.
Bobby Drake, 47, grabbed the gun and said it was not loaded, deputies said. He pointed the gun at the wall and pulled the trigger.
A bullet went through the wall and struck his 11-year-old son, Delaney, who was in another room, Joyner said.
Delaney was shot in the abdomen. He was taken to Nash General Hospital and then transferred to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. He is at home recovering with his mother and is expected to make a full recovery, officials said.
Joyner said the shooting was labeled accidental, because Bobby Drake believed the gun was unloaded.
Deputies arrested and charged Bobby Drake with possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a stolen gun, possession of a firearm in violation of a domestic-violence order and violation of a domestic-violence order. Bobby Drake was found guilty of possession of a schedule controlled substance in 2003.
Bobby Drake was released from jail on Wednesday after meeting a $36,000 bond.
No charges were filed against the boy's mother.
Court records show Bonaga Drake took out a protective order last February against her husband. At the time of the dispute, Bobby Drake was not supposed to have any contact with Bonaga Drake.
Bobby Drake had been “continually verbally abusive” to his wife, according to the order. After the two separated in 2002 he tried to kill himself and ended up shooting his right arm off, according to the order.
After the order was issued, Child Protective Services investigated and decided not to take the boy from this home, according to an incident report.
Nash County Social Services Director Laura O'Neal said she could not comment on any specific cases because of confidentiality. She said there is a standard procedure.
“We would evaluate whether or not the child was safe based on all of the information we had available to us and we would set up a protection plan or a safety plan with the family,” O’Neal said.
O'Neal said her department monitors all cases closely and if a safety risk is found a child could be removed from the home.
On Wednesday, Bonaga Drake filed to have the protective order set aside, stating it is no longer needed.
“I love my husband and he loves me. I am not in danger,” she wrote.
WRAL was unable to reach the Drake family for comment.