Driver resigns over bus stop incident
Posted July 24, 2008 4:50 p.m. EDT
Wake Forest, N.C. — A Wake Forest bus driver, who left a second-grader at a bus stop instead of taking him to school, resigned Thursday.
Lisa McGlohon said she watched son Brady climb on his school bus at the intersection of Clarincarde Court and Penfold Lane on July 16 and then left to go about her day.
But Brady never made it to North Forest Pines Elementary School.
McGlohon said that, even though the bus Brady got on takes children to the school, the bus wasn't his assigned bus. Instead of taking Brady to school anyway, McGlohon said the driver dropped him back off on the corner – all by himself.
"He is 6 years old, and he shouldn't be left alone at any given time,” she said.
Brady was frightened and crying, but he was also smart. When he realized he was alone, he went door to door at neighbors' homes asking for help.
A neighbor got Brady safely to school.
The bus driver, Charlie Taylor, resigned Thursday, a Wake County school system spokesman said. The 51-year-old had been a driver for the district since 1993, the spokesman said.