Home renovations for renters spark controversy in Raleigh
Posted July 14, 2008 5:45 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — There is growing concern over home renovations in south Raleigh neighborhoods. The owners are expanding their homes to make room for renters. However, not everyone is happy about the make-shift apartments.
Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker and City Council members toured some of those neighborhood's on Monday afternoon.
While none of the homes violate city codes, some city leaders worry about the impact of multi-family homes popping up in single-family neighborhoods.
Officials were scheduled to see 11 properties on the tour.
The city's inspections director said all of the homes were previously single-family homes that have had large additions put on to accommodate renters.
Officials stopped at two homes on Greenleaf Street near North Carolina State University. Many of the homeowners there have added on to rent to college students.
However, city officials said residents in these neighborhoods have been complaining recently about the types of tenants moving in.
There is a concern about low-income families moving in and that the additions are not compatible with the single-family homes in the neighborhoods.
All of the homes on the tours are in neighborhoods that are zoned for multi-family housing.
The city recently passed a new law that would require homeowners to get approval from the planning commission before adding on. Homes with existing additions have been grand-fathered in.