Jakiem Wilson case still in jurors' hands
Posted July 9, 2008 5:54 p.m. EDT
Updated July 9, 2008 6:40 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A Wake County jury will return for a third day to deliberate the fate of a Wendell man charged in the death of his wife.
The state and defense presented closing arguments Tuesday in the murder trial of Jakiem Wilson, who is charged in the stabbing death of Nneka Wilson.
The jury got the case Tuesday afternoon and has deliberated since. Judge Henry Hight dismissed the jury at 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Jurors asked to see two knives connected with the case Thursday, and also asked whether Wilson had admitted to killing his wife. Hight said they would have to refer to their recollection of evidence in the case.
Deliberations will resume at 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
Last month, Wilson claimed responsibility for his wife's death but said it did not constitute first-degree murder.
She was found dead inside her 6637 Eagles Crossing Drive home on Feb. 12, 2007. She had been dead for up to 16 hours before Jakiem Wilson called 911.
Wilson claimed to have been out of town when his wife was killed and said he found her body on the kitchen floor, along with the message, "Your (expletive) is dead. You're next," scrawled in her blood.
If he's found guilty of first-degree murder, Wilson could face the death penalty.