Local News

17-year-old found safe in Texas

Posted June 24, 2008 6:15 p.m. EDT
Updated June 24, 2008 8:29 p.m. EDT

Amber Alert

— State authorities have canceled an Amber Alert for a 17-year-old boy from Rockingham County, who authorities said was abducted last week at knifepoint.

William Alexander Benitez has been found safe and is currently at a children's home in Texas, authorities said in a news release.

Further details were not immediately available.

Dean Venable, a spokesman for the Rockingham County Sheriff's Office, said two carloads of people forced their way into Benitez's Madison home at about 1 a.m. last Wednesday, taking a knife from the kitchen and some money and other belongings from the home.

After threatening a few other people in the home with the knife, they took Benitez and fled in their vehicles, Venable said.

Authorities were searching for Antonio Dejesus Granado, 18, but it was not immediately clear if he had been apprehended or if anyone has been charged in the case.