Local News

Raleigh firefighters rescue two women

An early morning fire destroyed a condominium and hospitalized two women on Saturday, Raleigh firefighters said.

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com

RALEIGH, N.C. — Firefighters rescued two  women when their townhomes caught on fire early Saturday, officials said.

The fire broke out in one of the center condominium of a building in the 8000 block of Brown Bark Place at 3:09 a.m. Flames engulfed half the roof of that unit when crews arrived.

Firefighters pulled out two women from separate condos, including one moments before her unit's roof collapsed.

"It's a tragedy for these folks," Division Chief Rusty Styrons said. "We're so glad and proud of our folks that they were able to get in there and apply their training and do their job, and we're feeling pretty good about that right now."

A 55-year-old woman was resuscitated on the scene and subsequently transported to Rex Hospital. An 89-year-old woman suffered from minor smoke inhalation and was taken to WakeMed.

Both women were listed in stable condition on Sunday morning. Officials have not released their identities.

No one else was injured, but the condo at 8002, where the fire broke out, was a total loss.

The cause of the fire was electrical, sparked by an overloaded circuit in the wall of the 55-year-old woman's living room, officials said on Saturday afternoon.



David McCorkle, Photographer
Anne Johnson, Web Editor
Kathy Hanrahan, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.