Ford Explorer Blamed for Raleigh House Fire
Posted April 24, 2008 8:41 a.m. EDT
Updated April 24, 2008 5:37 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Investigators say a 1998 Ford Explorer was to blame for a house fire in Raleigh early Thursday, less than 48 hours after Ford had issued a recall notice for 9.6 million cars and trucks.
The fire started at about 2:30 a.m. at 8608 Seagate Drive. The sport utility vehicle’s faulty cruise control sparked the fire, which spread from the garage to the house, investigators said.
No one was hurt.
The problem, local experts say, is a $35 switch that can overheat and catch fire. They say it is imperative to have the problem fixed immediately.
Fires begun by Ford cruise-control switches have been reported for several years and have led to recalls. Ford had issued a voluntary recall notice Tuesday for 9.6 million cars and trucks.
The company issued a similar recall last year.
In 2005, a Roxboro family had a similar fire, and Ford had issued a recall then, too.