Man Suspected in More Attempted Abductions
Posted February 26, 2008 10:56 a.m. EST
Updated February 26, 2008 12:01 p.m. EST
Durham, N.C. — Police are looking into the possibility that a man charged in three reports of attempted kidnappings is linked to several other abduction attempts.
Fredy Humberto Pacheco, 36, of 901 Chalk Level Road, faces two counts of attempted kidnapping and one count of resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer. He is being held in the Durham County Jail on a $1.25 million bond.
An 11-year-old girl reported she was the victim of two attempts – occurring in the past two weeks – near Landon and Hardee streets while she was going to school, police said.
In both attempts, a man driving a bright red car pulled up to the girl and told her to get in the vehicle with him, police said. The girl refused and ran away.
A 15-year-old girl then came forward describing a similar experience, police said.
Now, police in Raleigh and Durham and as far away as Gastonia are looking at attempted abduction cases involving as many as six victims and dating back to 2006 for similarities with the three recent reports.
Pacheco surrendered to police after investigators located a car last week at a shopping center near Miami Boulevard and Holloway Street that they identified as the vehicle described by the two girls. The car had a decorative plate on the front that read “Fear This.”
Federal immigration agents have placed a detainer on Pacheco so that he won't be released on bond because they think he might be in the country illegally.