Local News

$1.25M Bond Set for Suspect in Attempted Abductions

Posted February 21, 2008 11:23 a.m. EST
Updated February 26, 2008 10:56 a.m. EST

— A man charged in connection with three reports of attempted kidnappings was ordered held on a $1.25 million bond Thursday.

Fredy Humberto Pacheco, 36, of 901 Chalk Level Road, surrendered to Durham police Wednesday and was charged with two counts of attempted kidnapping and one count of resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer.

Prosecutors said Pacheco hasn't cooperated with investigators, and they said he presented a danger to the community and a flight risk. Prosecutors asked for a $5 million bond, but a judge raised it from $250,000 to $1.25 million.

An 11-year-old girl reported she was the victim of two attempts – occurring last week and Tuesday morning – near Landon and Hardee streets while she was going to school, police said.

In both attempts, a man driving a bright red car pulled up to the girl and told her to get in the vehicle with him, police said. The girl refused and ran away. She told police that the attempted abductor's car had a decorative plate on the front that read “Fear This.”

Investigators said another girl came forward describing a similar experience.

Investigators recovered a car Tuesday at a shopping center near Miami Boulevard and Holloway Street and identified it as the vehicle described in all three cases.

The mother of one the girls said after Thursday's court hearing that she hopes Pacheco doesn't post bond.

"He made our lives difficult," the woman said, noting her daughter has nightmares and doesn't want to be left alone.

After court Thursday, a woman claiming to be Pacheco's sister said he has lived with her for the past seven years and that he is a "good person."

Durham officials said they have been getting calls from other jurisdictions about Pacheco. Authorities were checking his status with the U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Pacheco's next court appearance is scheduled for March 6.