Local News

Suspect in Kidnapping Attempts Surrenders to Durham Police

Posted February 20, 2008 5:37 a.m. EST
Updated February 26, 2008 10:56 a.m. EST

— A man wanted by Durham police in connection with three reports of attempted kidnappings surrendered to police Wednesday.

Fredy Humberto Pacheco, 36, of 901 Chalk Level Road, was arrested late Wednesday afternoon and charged with one count of attempted kidnapping.

Investigators recovered his car Tuesday evening in a shopping center near Miami Boulevard and Holloway Street and have identified it as the vehicle described in all three cases.

An 11-year-old girl reported she was the victim of two attempts – occurring last week and Tuesday morning – near Landon and Hardee streets at about 7:30 a.m. while she was going to school, police said.

In both attempts, a man driving a bright red car pulled up to the girl and told her to get in the vehicle with him, police said. The girl refused and ran away.

Investigators said another girl came forward describing a similar experience. They withheld that girl's age and the location of the alleged attempt.

Pacheco was being held in the Durham County Jail on a $250,000 bond. His first court appearance is scheduled for Thursday morning.