Local News

Wake Deputy Wrecks While Responding to Chase

Posted January 2, 2008 7:09 p.m. EST
Updated January 3, 2008 6:49 a.m. EST

— Two carjacking suspects are in custody and two others at large after a chase and crash involving a sheriff’s deputy. Five people, including the deputy, were injured in the Wednesday evening accident.

It started after a carjacking in Knightdale at about 6 p.m. A woman told authorities she was backing out of her driveway when she was approached by two men carrying a handgun. The men stole the woman's Honda Accord and were later spotted by sheriff’s deputies on the U.S. Highway 64 Bypass. This led to a low-speed chase as deputies tried to stop the vehicle.

“Our cars picked it up on the new bypass and tried to get him stopped. He hit several cars and we had several cars coming to it,” Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said.

Deputy Anthony Locklear, who was not behind the stolen car, but was responding to the chase, was involved in a crash with two vehicles driven by innocent bystanders. The crash happened at about 6 p.m. on Rock Quarry Road near Ruby Drive.

“I heard the sirens and then a big boom. The emergency teams were here within two or three minutes,” said Wayne Mahoney, who lives near the scene of the crash.

Five people, including Locklear, were taken to WakeMed. Locklear, along with driver Rapher Ellis and two of his passengers were treated and released. Driver Brenda Smith was listed in critical condition Wednesday night.

“Regretfully, somebody got hurt. We are involved with it. We're going to work through it to see what caused it. The Highway Patrol should have some answers, and we will look at it from there," Harrison said.

The stolen car hit another vehicle on New Hope Road and kept going. Eventually, the suspects ditched the car at Rock Quarry Road and Atkins Drive.

While trying to run from authorities, a juvenile male and 16-year-old girl were arrested. Authorities said they searched the Creech Road area for two more people connected to the carjacking. They continue to follow up leads in the case.

Traffic was backed up on Rock Quarry Road for three hours Wednesday evening as authorities investigated the crash.

Harrison said the Highway Patrol will also investigate since a sheriff's deputy was involved in the accident.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.