“We had heavy fire showing on the end of the roof. In three to four minutes it spread to the other end of the complex,” Fuquay-Varina Fire Department Assistant Chief Jim Jones said. "It's definitely not a good way to start the New Year off, but the good thing was no one hurt. The material things can be replaced.”
The cause of the fire was thought to be accidental, Jones said, but it hadn't been determined Tuesday. He said he expected to have more details Wednesday after an insurance investigator completes his report.
"(What a) way to start my brand new year. I don't know. I'm shocked, speechless really," said apartment resident Danny Horton, who escaped with a laundry basket filled with clothes.
"We had all new stuff, and it's all gone," apartment resident Nicole Reynolds said. "You're sitting here, like, we don't have anything left. What are we going to do? But at least nobody got hurt."
"It's terrible. I'm just glad everybody is alright. I'm just glad everybody is OK. I don't know, like I said, we don't have anything,” McDougall said.
"To those who were not home, to come home and find something like this, I can't imagine. I can't imagine,” Jaeger said.
Crews from Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Fairview and Northwest Harnett County fire departments responded to the fire.