Local News

Police Release More Info on Break-in, Fatal Collision

Posted December 30, 2007 8:42 p.m. EST
Updated December 31, 2007 5:53 p.m. EST

— Durham police released more information Sunday about a break-in in progress call Saturday that led to a fatal wreck. Two men were later arrested and held on $250,000 bond each.

Officers responded to the break-in call in the 500 block of Holloway Street at 5:54 p.m. on Saturday. Officers were told that the people inside the house were armed with guns.

When police arrived, they found two males in a Ford Taurus parked behind the house. A third male, who was armed with a gun, came out of the house and dropped the gun when ordered to do so by officers.

The males in the Taurus then attempted to leave, police said. The Taurus struck one officer in the leg and then, according to initial reports, the driver drove toward a second officer in a driveway.

Police fired shots at the vehicle, but the driver fled down Holloway Street to Morgan Street. The Taurus struck an Isuzu SUV near Mangum Street, causing it to flip over and collide with a Honda Accord.

Two people in the SUV were treated at the hospital, but their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

The driver of the Taurus was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. He had not been positively identified Sunday night, and the cause of death had not been determined.

A passenger jumped from the vehicle and ran, but was apprehended a short distance away. He was taken to Duke University Hospital for treatment and later released.

Investigators charged Alonzo Olmeda Castillo and Luis Campo, whose ages and addresses were not available, with first-degree burglary, kidnapping and attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Castillo was arrested at the house on Holloway Street and Campo was the passenger in the vehicle.

Bonds for both men were originally set at $500,000, but were reduced to $250,000 on Monday. Their next court date is Jan. 14.

The case remains under investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department.