Local News

Knightdale Restaurant Helps Family After Fire

Posted December 24, 2007 7:45 p.m. EST
Updated December 25, 2007 6:50 a.m. EST

— A family of nine who lost nearly everything in a house fire last month will have a Christmas, thanks to a restaurant that came to their aid.

The fire left DeLisa Parrilla, her fiancé and their seven children homeless. An Applebee’s in Knightdale heard about the family's tragedy and decided to adopt them for Christmas.

“We were all upset. We started crying,” said Applebee’s Manager Keith Brozzoski.

The response was overwhelming. The restaurant collected about $2,000 worth of gift cards and cash and toys and clothing. One person even donated a house rent-free for six months.

“We had to go place to place, hotel to hotel, and to have someone reach out to you, it’s just amazing,” Parrilla said. “I’m just excited and happy and thankful.”

The fire at the family’s home started in the fireplace and moved up the wall into the attic. Nearly everything was lost. The family has already started repairs, but it will be awhile before they can move back into the home.