Durham Police Dept. offers holiday crime prevention tips
Posted December 8, 2007 8:13 p.m. EST
Updated November 18, 2008 12:20 p.m. EST
Durham, N.C. — The Durham Police Department wants everyone to have a safe holiday season. Here are some safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Be alert to suspicious people and vehicles.
- Avoid dangerous situations.
If You Are Traveling:
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home and park in your driveway periodically.
- Don’t forget to have mail , newspaper and deliveries stopped.
If You Are Out For The Evening:
- Turn on lights, radio or a TV so that it looks like someone is home.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Don’t display gifts where they can be seen from the outside.
If You Are Out Shopping:
- Stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you at all times.
- Park in well-lit areas, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows and place all shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever
- Pay attention to people walking in front of and behind you.
- Always lock your vehicle and store all items out of sight.
- If you take packages to the car but plan to return to the store or mall, drive to a new location.
- When returning to your vehicle (or home), have your keys in your hand ready to open the door.