DURHAM, N.C. — The Durham Police Department wants everyone to have a safe holiday season. Here are some safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Be alert to suspicious people and vehicles.
- Avoid dangerous situations.
If You Are Traveling:
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home and park in your driveway periodically.
- Don’t forget to have mail , newspaper and deliveries stopped.
If You Are Out For The Evening:
- Turn on lights, radio or a TV so that it looks like someone is home.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Don’t display gifts where they can be seen from the outside.
If You Are Out Shopping:
- Stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you at all times.
- Park in well-lit areas, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows and place all shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever
Pay attention to people walking in front of and behind you. Always lock your vehicle and store all items out of sight. If you take packages to the car but plan to return to the store or mall, drive to a new location. When returning to your vehicle (or home), have your keys in your hand ready to open the door.