Local News

Driver in Police Chase Faced Speeding Charges, Had Record

Posted December 2, 2007 3:16 p.m. EST
Updated December 2, 2007 5:25 p.m. EST

— A driver who fled from police during a high-speed chase that left two young sisters dead had a lengthy criminal record – including driving, alcohol and drugs infractions – and was facing charges of speeding.

Since March 1997, Guy Christopher Ayscue, 38, of Henderson, spent 31 months as a free man and 72 months in jail or on parole. His last parole ended Sept. 27, a little more than two months before Saturday's chase and wreck in Franklin and Granville counties.

Franklinton police officer Michael Dunlap gave chase after seeing Ayscue, 38, driving very erratically in a Pontiac. The pursuit ended 15 miles later when Ayscue hit a 1999 Kia head-on killing Linsay Erin Lunsford, 18, and Maggie Rose Lunsford, 9.

Ayscue was due in Vance County court on Jan. 3 to face misdemeanor charges of speeding. Court records show he was charged under state statute 20-141(J1), which covers driving 15 mph over the speed limit or above 80 mph.

Ayscue served four years and nine months in Vance County for assault with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury and common-law robbery. He committed those crimes in June 2001, according to court records.

Ayscue first went to court in July 1987 when he plead guilty to purchase or possession of beer or wine underage and was fined $10.

Between July 1989 and December 1991, he faced at least 14 charges in court, mostly for drug, alcohol and driving offenses.

During that time, he was convicted of driving while impaired and plead down a charge of reckless driving to unsafe movement. For a DWI, he was initially sentenced to 30 days in jail, 1 year of probation and a $100 fine. But that sentence was suspended and, instead, Ayscue performed 24 hours of community service, turned in his license and paid the fine.

Another jail sentence – for carrying a concealed weapon – was suspended in 1989. Instead, Ayscue was ordered to complete 30 hours of community service, pay a $100 fine and turn his weapon over to the sheriff. Court records indicate he complied with those conditions.

Ayscue was also charged with DWI in 1989, 1990 and 1994. In one case, he was found not guilty of a DWI but convicted of lesser driving infractions; the other two were voluntarily dismissed.

Asycue's first jail time resulted from two cases of breaking and entering which he committed in 1997 and was convicted of in 1999. He was on a five-year probation then, stemming from convictions for felony possession of drugs and possession with intent to sell or deliver marijuana in 1992.