Second Man Arrested in Fatal Durham Assault
Posted October 29, 2007 9:59 a.m. EDT
Updated October 29, 2007 1:57 p.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — Authoritie said a second man wanted in a Sept. 18 assault in Durham was arrested Monday in South Carolina.
Robyn Dukes, 29, of Chalk Level Road, was arrested at around 9 a.m. by members of the U.S. Marshals Service's Fugitive Task Force in Sumter as he was going to court for another case, police said.
Investigators said Dukes and James Anthony Macaluso, 38, beat Dallas Latae Kelly, 36, on Washington Street near West Club Boulevard. Kelly later died as a result of his injuries.
Robbery is believed to have been the motive for the attack. Dukes and Macaluso now face murder charges.
Dukes was arrested and charged with the June 2004 slaying of Donald Pettis, Jr., 36, in Sumter. Authorities in Sumter said Pettis was trying to run away from two people who were beating him up. When Pettis was able to get away from the men, one of them shot him in the back, police said.
Earlier in October, authorities arrested James Anthony Macaluso. Macaluso was already serving time for a separate crime at the Granville County Jail.