Local News

Man Stabbed to Death at Durham Mall, Suspect at Large

Police are searching for Xavier J. Moore, pictured, who is a suspect in the stabbing death of a 22-year-old man at Northgate Mall in Durham.

Posted Updated

DURHAM, N.C. — A 22-year-old man was stabbed to death Saturday night at Northgate Mall in Durham, police said. A murder suspect has been named, but is still at-large.

Police identified the victim as Keanan James Odom. They are looking for Xavier J. Moore, 21, of Durham, in connection with the murder.

Authorities said Odom was stabbed during an altercation inside the mall just before 5:45 p.m. Saturday. The stabbing occurred in front of a clothing store near Entrance Two.

Odom attempted to leave the mall for help and was taken by a personal vehicle to Duke Hospital. Police did not say whether he died en route or at the hospital.

At about 8 p.m., officers escorted customers out of the mall and closed it. Police wanted to preserve crime scene evidence.

Thirty minutes later, a Durham Mobile Crime Lab forensic services unit was stationed outside the entrance. At the opposite end of the mall, police blocked off another crime scene where blood spots may have been found.

The mall re-opened at noon Sunday.

Anyone with information regarding the murder or the whereabouts of the suspect is asked to contact Investigator M. Soucie at 919-560-4440, ext. 274 or Durham Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.

Four other people have been killed or injured on Northgate Mall's property since 1999. In September of that year, Durham police apprehended robbery suspect in the food court. During the confrontation, the suspect was shot in the neck with his own gun.

Two men shot each other during an attempted robbery in the mall's parking deck in September 2002. The mall imposed a curfew in the summer of 2003 banning teenagers from visiting without a chaperon on weekend nights.

In December 2005, two teenagers got into a fight on a city bus after Lamar Bass allegedly harassed Lazarren McLean's sister. The fight spilled over into the mall parking lot, where police said Bass shot and killed McLean. Bass is serving a life sentence for the murder.



Geof Levine, Photographer
Kelly Hinchcliffe, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by WRAL.com and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.