Local News

Open Burning Ban Lifted Across N.C.

Posted September 18, 2007 8:51 a.m. EDT
Updated September 18, 2007 3:20 p.m. EDT

— The state lifted its monthlong ban on open burning Tuesday because of last week's storm that dropped several inches of rain across the state.

The North Carolina Division of Forest Resources said recent rainfall and lower temperatures have reduced the threat for wildfires.

Residents should remain cautious, however, officials said. And if drought conditions continue and wildfires pick back up, the ban could reinstated.

The open burning ban went into effect Aug. 21 after dry weather conditions, coupled with below-normal rainfall, led to an increasing number of wildfires across the state.

The latest figures from the North Carolina Drought Management Advisory Council suggest most of the state is still experiencing extreme or severe drought conditions.