BURLINGTON, N.C. — The parents of a 3-week-old Burlington boy whose disappearance prompted an Amber Alert Tuesday afternoon surrendered to police about an hour after the alert issued, police said.
The North Carolina Center for Missing Persons issued the alert shortly after 5 p.m. for Jamal Antwan Haith, and Burlington police were searching for the child's parents, Angela Dawn Foust, 33, and Jessie Junior Haith, 29.
According to Patty McQuillan, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Crime Control and Public Safety, a social worker went to the couple's residence to take custody of the child.
But no one was there, and that prompted the alert, because the couple has a history of alleged child abuse, McQuillan said.
McQuillan said the Department of Social Services took custody of a previous child and was moving forward with doing so with Jamal Antwan Haith.
Julia Jarema, spokeswoman for the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety, said she could not offer any further details about the case other than the child had been located.