Clayton Man Pleads Guilty in Naval Reservist's Shooting Death
Posted August 20, 2007 11:42 a.m. EDT
Updated August 27, 2007 6:09 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A Clayton man charged with shooting and killing his girlfriend's husband at a Raleigh park in December 2005 pleaded guilty Monday to first-degree muder.
Andrew Deshawn Canty, 20, of Clayton, received a life sentence without the possibility of parole for his role in the Dec. 18 death of naval reservist Paul Berkley, 46, of Clayton.
Jury selection began last week in the first of three capital murder trials connected to his death. Berkley's wife, Monique Berkley, and Latwon Darrell Johnson, 20, a friend of Canty's, also face first-degree murder in the case.
Monique Berkley called 911 in the early-morning hours of Dec. 18, reporting two men had shot her and her husband on a pathway at Millbrook Exchange Park.
Paul Berkley was shot in the head and died at WakeMed. Monique Berkley sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder.
Police said Monique Berkley later admitted to plotting to kill her husband to collect on his life insurance.
Authorities said Monique Berkley had been having an affair with Canty while her husband was deployed overseas and that Paul Berkley suspected the affair and planned to divorce his wife. That is when, Raleigh police said, Monique Berkley allegedly put a plot to kill her husband in motion.
The plan, authorities said, called for Monique Berkley to be beaten to cover up her involvement in the alleged crime. She was shot instead, however, and investigators have not said if they understand why.
Canty's attorney, Ann Groninger, said she is happy to have her client's case resolved and that they felt Canty's plea was the right decision.