Local News

Victim Had Said She Was Scared of Cary Bridge

Posted September 22, 1997 12:00 a.m. EDT

— Karen Boychuk feared walking on a Cary Parkway bridge because it had no sidewalk and lots of traffic, according to opening statements in her husband's capital murder trial. 

Bill Boychuk is accused of pushing his pregnant wife, Karen, from a bridge on the Cary Parkway on New Year's Eve 1995. Prosecutor Thomas Ford contends that Boychuk then walked to where his wife lay injured and inflicted four fatal blows to her skull. 


But Boychuk's attorney, Roger Smith, told jurors in opening statements Monday that Karen and Bill Boychuk were struck by a hit-and-run driver and that Bill Boychuk tried to help his wife. 


Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty for Boychuk if he is convicted of first-degree murder. 

According to brief opening statements, Bill and Karen Boychuk were walking along the Cary Parkway on a foggy New Year's Eve after Bill Boychuk locked his keys in the couple's car, which was parked at nearby subdivision. The couple were walking home to retrieve a spare set of keys. 

Smith said his client was knocked unconscious by a hit-and-run driver, accounting for the time lapse between the time that Karen Boychuk was injured, about 7 p.m., and the time that her husband went to get help, about 8:30 or 9 p.m. 

"He got up to help his wife," Smith told jurors. "His arm and leg were hurting badly." 

One of the first witnesses called was Thomas Austin, a neighbor who found Bill Boychuk on the sidewalk, crying and disoriented, saying that he and Karen had been struck by a car.  Austin scrambled down an embankment and approached Karen Boychuk's body cautiously. She showed no signs of life and Austin said he feared the worst. 


Karen Boychuk's body was found 40 feet below the bridge, on a greenway. At the time of her death, she was four months pregnant. 

Police suspected foul play from the start because it was clear she had been hit in the head, as well as badly hurt by the fall. 

Neighbors told police the couple fought frequently. They had married in July 1995 after dating a few months. One neighbor told police she heard a woman scream about the time the Boychuks were out walking. 

Karen Boychuk, 31, was a lawyer who grew up in Wilson. Her husband, 33 at the time of his wife's death, was a graduate student in the UNC-Chapel Hill business school. They lived at the Hermitage at Beechtree apartments. 

According to Smith, the Boychuks met when he responded to her personal ad in The Independent, and he proposed to her about a month later.