Governor Hunt Tours State a Year After Fran
Posted September 5, 1997 12:00 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH — A year ago hurricane Fran slammed into the Carolina coastline. By this time last September, North Carolinians were just beginning to evaluate her damage and determine what to do next. The impact was hard to believe. It still is.
WRAL-TV5'sMark Roberts caught up with the governor during a brief stop at Umstead State Park on Hunt's so-called 'Franiversary Tour'. The park lost 12 million trees and it cost $1 million to get the park open again after Fran. The governor says he wants to assess the progress of recovery efforts and determine what the state needs to do now. He says he particularly wanted to check on Umstead.
Hunt was accompanied on his tour by the N.C. Secretary of Crime Control and Public Safety, and officials from Hunt's disaster recovery task force. He said he is not totally satisfied with the state's recovery effort so far. He said he wants people who are still having trouble to tell him about it.
Hunt says he and his staff have identified 84 things that NC can do better the next time a disaster like Hurricane Fran comes around. Earlier warnings and better coordination of rescue agencies are near the top of that list.
Hunt made a surprise announcement during his visit to the park. He said an additional $9 million in hurricane recovery grants is on its way to the state.