Local News

Short Circuit Caused Robeson Fatal Fire

Posted Updated
The Oxendine family
PHILADELPHUS — Robeson County investigators say a shortcircuit was responsible for a fatal fire here Sunday. Neighbors in thesmall community of Philadelphus are mourning a father and his two sons whowere killed in the blaze.

Officials say Billy Oxendine and his sons William and Levern died ofsmoke inhalation after their house burst into flames. Investigatorsbelieve a lightning strike sparked a power surge at the tiny house.

As in many rural areas,the closest neighbor lives about a halfa mile away, but this a place where everyone knows each other and atragedy like this brings them together. The boys' toys are still scatteredin the yard, a haunting reminder of the children who lived and playedthere just days ago.

Deputies say the home did not have a smoke detector.

Image
1 / 2

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.