Three Killed In House Fire
Posted July 6, 1997 12:00 a.m. EDT
ROBESON COUNTY — The community of Philadelphus is grieving tonight after the deaths of three of its neighbors in a house fire Saturday night.
Billy Oxendine and his two sons, William and Levern, were inside when the home caught fire. Investigators said that a lightning strike during a thunderstorm sparked a power surge that set the home ablaze.
In this small community, friends and neighbors came to the home to view the devastation and somehow to find an answer to what had occurred overnight.
Investigators believe that all three died from smoke inhalation.