Chapel Hill Fire Victim Found with Bound Hands
Posted April 19, 1997 12:00 a.m. EDT
CHAPEL HILL — Police revealed Friday that the hands of a man found dead after a fire at his computer store last weekend were bound. They declined to say how the hands were bound, other than to add that his body was found in proximity to "four attached pieces of wood and black-coated wire."
The body of Roger Tomboulian, 61, was found just inside the front door of his shop, Total Computer Center, on South Elliott Road. Smoke had alerted people at a nearby pool hall about 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
Investigators have not determined whether Tomboulian's death is attributable to homicide, suicide or accident.
They are also deciding if arson was a factor, because an accelerant fed the fire. Tomboulian died of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of smoke inhalation. Medical examiners found no other injuries that contributed to his death.
Police are also reviewing records from the computer store and from a second Tomboulian business, Cognisoft, which was at another South Elliott Road location.
Police ask that anyone with information on the fire to call them at 968-2760.