Fatal Fire in Sampson County
Posted April 18, 1997 12:00 a.m. EDT
CLINTON — Investigators are probing the charred remains of a house just outside Clinton where an early Friday morning fire left an elderly man dead and a woman injured.
Investigators say 72-year-old John Shipp, his wife, and two of their grandchildren were in the house when the fire started. Both grandchildren escaped, but Martha Shipp is in critical condition at UNC Hospitals Burn Center.
It is believed that John Shipp was an invalid and that his wife was injured while trying to get him out of the house.
A faulty electrical cord sparked the blaze. The house did not have smoke detectors.