Local News

Raleigh Tries to Clean Up Violent Neighborhood

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com
Angela Pope
RALEIGH — The City of Raleigh is stepping in to clean upone of its most crime-ridden neighborhoods. It is the same neighborhoodwhere a child was seriously wounded in a drive-by shooting last month.

Wednesday night, city council approved $250,000 to buy property in thearea around the Carver Street house where the shooting incident occurred, as part of a community redevelopment program. It is unclear exactly whichproperties are being purchased, although council members say it isapproximately half of one block.

Area resident Angela Pope said theshooting is still on the minds of residents.

Raleigh Mayor Tom Fetzer said the incident has raised concerns withincity government as well.

Resident Chris Herman is pessimistic. He thinks it will only be amatter of time before the neighborhood deteriorates again. Pope says the city's helping hand probably won't help much.

Carver Street resident James Giles says he thinks the city's plan fallsshort.

The money set aside by city council came from a combination of federalgrant funds and money already in the redevelopment plan.

Residents say they are anxious to see which properties will be selectedfor renovation.

Image
1 / 3

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ImageFeedback