Woman Injured in Fayetteville House Fire
Posted December 26, 1996 12:00 a.m. EST
FAYETTEVILLE — An elderly Fayetteville woman remains in critical condition Friday after being pulled from her burning home a day earlier.
Firefighters managed to pull 89-year-old Mattie Leak out of her house on Ames Street. Leak is legally blind. Her husband, Whitfield, also in his 80s, escaped without injury.
More than 25 percent of Leak's body was burned in the blaze, and she inhaled a lot of smoke, authorities said.
Leak was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, then flown to the burn center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, where she was listed in critical condition Friday.
Investigators believe the fire began when clothes drying over a wood stove ignited. There was no sign of a smoke detector in the home.