Children in Fatal Fire Identified
Posted October 13, 1996 12:00 a.m. EDT
GARNER — Officials have released the names of the three children who died Saturday morning after a fire swept their home. They were identified as Princess Hinton, 3; Zachary Armstrong, 4; and James Patrick Jones, 11.
Three other children, ages 15, 10 and 19 months jumped from a second-story window to safety. Those youngsters have not been identified because officials have not located one of the fathers.
Investigators said the house at 1314 W. Garner Road was unheated, although they do not believe the fireplace nor a rusty space heater found in the back yard among charred debris were involved in the blaze.
The specific cause of the blaze has not been disclosed but Wake County Fire/Rescue Director Gregory H. Grayson said there was some indication the children has been trying to keep warm in the unheated house. The fire broke out in a bedroom and appeared to be accidental. There were no smoke detectors in the rental house, authorities said..
The blaze broke out about midnight Friday, and firefighters arrived to find the house engulfed in flames.
Prior to their arrival, neighbors had attempted to rescue the children but were turned back by the flames.
Two of the children's mothers and a 15-year-old relative had gone to a nearby store and returned to find the house on fire.
Those who died apparently were felled by smoke inhalation after being trapped at least 30 minutes in an upstairs room.