Three other children, ages 15, 10 and 19 months jumped from asecond-story window to safety. Those youngsters have not been identifiedbecause officials have not located one of the fathers.
Investigators said the house at 1314 W. Garner Road was unheated,although they do not believe the fireplace nor a rusty space heater foundin the back yard among charred debris were involved in the blaze.
The specific cause of the blaze has not been disclosed but Wake CountyFire/Rescue Director Gregory H. Grayson said there was some indication thechildren has been trying to keep warm in the unheated house. The firebroke out in a bedroom and appeared to be accidental. There were no smokedetectors in the rental house, authorities said..
The blaze broke out about midnight Friday, and firefighters arrived tofind the house engulfed in flames.
Prior to their arrival, neighbors had attempted to rescue the childrenbut were turned back by the flames.
Two of the children's mothers and a 15-year-old relative had gone to anearby store and returned to find the house on fire.
Those who died apparently were felled by smoke inhalation after beingtrapped atleast 30 minutes in an upstairs room.
Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.