Court is not in session Wednesday, but employees and visitors who regularly pass through metal detectors and X-ray devices arebeing greeted by armed U.S. Marshals.
All cars parking in the lot behind the court on New Bern Avenue are being searched and drivers are being asked for identification. No exceptions are being made.
U.S. Marshal Mark Tucker says the vehicle search is part of the hightened security measures that apply to everyone entering the federal building.
"We have a heightened state of security and that will be in effect until things settle down over the next couple of days, or at least until the end of the week anyway," he said.
Tucker said "It is better to be safe than sorry."
"We had suspicious articles that were around the building this morning that we detected when the sun came up and we called the Raleigh Police Department and they came and checked things out and decided there was nothing to it," he said.
Federal court will remain closed for the rest of the week, slowing the amount of traffic into the Federal Building.
Wake County Courts , as well as Raleigh and state government offices are operating a normal schedule, under heightened security.
Troopers and State Capitol Policeofficers were stationed at entrances of every major governmentbuilding downtown.
At least five police vehicles were stationed in and around theold Capitol Building, which houses Gov. Easley's office, as it re-opened Wednesday morning.
The building was closed Tuesday as Easley ordered additional security measures at other state government buildings in Raleigh.
At a Tuesday afternoon news conference, Easley said there are "no known credible threats in North Carolina at this time."
However, he ordered additional security measures at state government buildings, put the North Carolina National Guard on alert and placed a group of National Guard C-130 transport planes in ready mode in case they were needed to move people or goods.
"What I want people to know is we have taken every precaution to ensure the security of our citizens,'' he said.
Raleigh beefed up its security across the city after the terrorist attack. Mayor Paul Coble outlined a common sense approach to protecting vital services.
"We have increased security at our water plant, our wastewater plant and around City Hall. We have asked that our police department make sure they are fully staffed and able to respond to any events that occur," Coble said.
North Carolina is part of the Emergency Management Assistance Compact, a group of 42 states and two terrorities that offers help during disasters. The coalition sends resources and personnel to help in times of need.
So far, no one from North Carolina had been sent to New York or D.C.