Local News

Burned Outlet Prompts Evacuations Near NCSU

Posted Updated

RALEIGH — What was first thought to be a chemical leak at an N.C. State University building Friday morning turned out to be nothing more than a false alarm.

Raleigh Hazmat crews were called out to the Weed Science Building at Ligon Street and Method Road around 8 a.m.

A housekeeper had noticed a strange smell and light smoke in the building.

An initial reading showed there may have been a chemical leak, and the 200 people inside the building were evacuated as a precaution.

It turns out the smoke was due to a burned electrical outlet.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.