Local News

Six-Year-Old Boy Saves Family From Fire

Posted Updated

WILSON — Quincy Leake likes visiting his grandfather's home in Wilson, but this time would be a visit he would never forget.

About 2:30 a.m. Friday, an electrical outlet in Quincy's room sparked and set a mattress on fire. The smoke triggered the hallway alarm, but only Quincy heard it at first, so he went to his mother, who was asleep in the den.

"I told her there was a fire. My mom woke my granddaddy up," he says. "I went and woke my sister and my brother up, and we all went outside."

Everything went according to plan -- the one Quincy learned in school. He even remembered where to go outside in case of a fire -- the mailbox by the street.

"I feel like we would have perished in the fire had he not woke up," says Cleveland Bynum, Quincy's grandfather.

Firefighters contained the flames to the bedroom. There was only $11,000 in damage and, more importantly, no one was hurt.


Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.