Lightning Sparks Fire At Townhomes, Displacing 12
Posted April 3, 2006 5:01 a.m. EDT
Updated December 25, 2011 9:17 a.m. EST
RALEIGH, N.C. — Three units at a Raleigh townhouse complex were destroyed and four others sustained smoke damage in a fire caused by a lightning strike.
Authorities said the fire occurred at around 10:30 a.m. Monday morning at the Greencastle Townhomes complex near Green Road. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about a hour.
According to authorities, no one was at home at the time of the fire. They said that a lightning bolt that hit the roof of the complex sparked the fire.
At least 12 people were left without a place to live.
Officials also said there were power outages in the New Hope Church/Green Roads area due to a lightning strike at a nearby power facility.