Autopsy Report: Researcher Died Of Arsenic Poisoning
Posted May 14, 2001 6:25 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH — Eric Miller, a Raleigh researcher, died last year after becoming violently ill. His autopsy report says he may have received two or three doses of arsenic, including at least one while he was hospitalized.
The findings show Miller became ill after taking the first dose and went to Rex Hospital.
A second dose either came when he was hospitalized at Rex Hospital or when he was transferred to UNC Hospitals. He may have received a third dose after he was discharged from UNC Hospitals.
Miller first reported getting sick after bowling with his wife's friend, Derril Williard on Nov. 15.
Warrants indicate Williard offered Miller some beer at the bowling alley, which Miller said, "tasted funny." After police searched Williard's home, he was found dead in his garage from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Sources say, in the note he left behind, he denied having anything to do with Miller's death.
The autopsy report also says Miller's body has cacodylic acid, the same chemical substance that was found in his wife's laboratory at Glaxo SmithKline. Both Rex Hospital and UNC Hospitals claim that they do not have the substance on their premises.
Miller's wife, Ann, has never been named a suspect in the incident. Raleigh police say the investigation is ongoing, and no one would be charged this week.