Local News

Child Accidentally Strangles Himself On Cord From Mini-Blinds

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com

FAYETTEVILLE — A three-year-old boy in Fayetteville is dead after accidentally hanging himself onacord used for mini-blinds.

Tre Tolbert was playing in his living room Tuesday night when he gotcaught in the cord on the Venetian blinds.

Newer window blinds have safety features like a tassle that snaps fromtwo to three pounds of pressure. The safety features would prevent kids,dogs and cats from strangling.

"This is not a common thing that would happen, however, not very manypeople put much focus into safety measures that would prohibit somethinglike this to ever happenagain," says Tish Libby of Blinds Plus.

Fayetteville police are continuing to investigate the case. If you dohave the older blinds, you can call the manufacturer or go tothe store where you bought them and get safety updates.

 Credits

Scott Mason, Reporter
Rick Armstrong, Photographer
Kamal Wallace, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ImageFeedback