Local News

Johnston County Student Injured In Workshop Accident

Posted April 26, 2001 6:36 a.m. EDT

— A student was injured Thursday afternoon in a workshop accident.

Charles Green suffered burns to his face, ears and hands when an oxygen tank exploded in his welding class at Princeton High School.

Green was taken to a hospital in Smithfield for later transport to theNorth Carolina Jaycee Burn Centerin Chapel Hill.

"Our understanding is that he is conscious and alert. He is talking with his family at this time, so he is going to be fine," says Crystal Roberts, spokeswoman for Johnston County Schools.

Students in the area were evacuated. Classes were held for the rest of the day in another part of the building. There was no damage to the rest of the building.

The school plans to check all of its oxygen tanks before they are used again.