Saturday Blazes Keep Firefighters Busy
Posted December 22, 2000 6:00 a.m. EST
RALEIGH — Two blazes kept Raleigh firefighters busy Saturday night, forcing families out of their homes days before Christmas. And in Greenville, a Saturday morning fire sent three people to the hospital and turned 25 more out of their homes.
Fire ate through a second-floor apartment at the Dover Apartments on Wexford Road in Raleigh around 7:30 p.m. Water and smoke damaged other apartments, leaving two families homeless.
"I have nothing at all," said Brandy Staton, who spent the rest of Saturday night in a motel. "Two days before Christmas, and I have nothing. I have four kids, and I have to find a place for them."
Other families were kept out of their apartments while firefighters investigated the blaze. The American Red Cross tended to their needs in the bitter cold.
A firefighter suffered a minor burn to the hand.
Investigators believe the fire may have started accidentally near a couch. They credit the building's construction for preventing the fire from spreading to other units.
As crews knocked down that fire, a two-alarm blaze broke out at a duplex in west Raleigh just before 10 p.m. At least one firefighter was treated for minor injuries.
The Greenville fire broke out early Saturday morning. Fire officials say it started when a pot was left on the stove.
Three people were trapped in the apartment when the fire started. Two of them broke through the wall of an adjoining unit to escape.
In all, three apartments were damaged by water and smoke.//