Local News

Elderly Woman Burned in Raleigh Fire Dies

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com
An elderly woman was burned Monday morning in a house fire on St. George Road in Raleigh.(WRAL-TV5 News)
RALEIGH — An elderly Raleigh woman who was severely burned in a Monday house fire has died.

Dorothy Gaither, 73, died early Tuesday morning at the UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, after suffering from second- and third-degree burns over 50 percent of her body.

Gaither was in her wheelchair when the fire started around 10 a.m. Monday in the home on St. George Road in southwest Raleigh. Her caretaker was cooking in the kitchen when he noticed the fire and got out of the house.

Firefighters retrieved Gaither from a far corner of the house and performed CPR to revive her.

The house is a total loss, with an estimated $120,000 in damage. The preliminary investigation indicates the fire was accidental. Investigators say it may involve the improper disposal of a cigarette.

A Raleigh firefighter was slightly injured in the blaze. He was treated and released.

Image

 Credits

David Renner, Photographer
Brian Shrader, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ImageFeedback