Crabtree Valley Mall Reopens After Gas Leak Forces Evacuation
Posted May 28, 2000 7:00 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH — Crabtree Valley Mall is open Tuesday morning after being evacuated for a gas leak Monday night.
Thousands of shoppers were evacuated from the mall around 7:30 p.m. after someone smelled the odor of natural gas.
Mall managers say the smell was the strongest in the area near the food court.
Investigators with the Raleigh Fire Department were on the scene trying to locate the source of the natural gas leak.
A mall spokesperson says there is a bank of gas boxes outside of Sears where leak may have started. The boxes are actually for heating, so they are not currently being used. They have been shut off while repairs are made.
The main gas line at the mall was shut off Monday night, and ventilator fans were used to clear the air.