SANFORD — July 29, 1996 - 5:05 p.m. EDT
There was fear in Sanford Monday morning when a dangerous chemical spill forced the evacuation of several homes and businesses.
A recycling crew spilled hydrochloric acid at the Whitten-Roberts plant on Highway 421 at about 10 a.m. Monday. A plume of gaseous acid clouded the area, and an immediate evacuation was ordered.
Hazardous materials crews had the situation under control by afternoon.
The Sanford fire chief says the acid spilled when workers at the plant tried to transfer it from one container to another
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.