Local News

Fatal Fire Could Have Been Prevented

Posted Updated

RALEIGH — April 25, 1996 - 11:04 a.m. EDT

A fire earlier this week that killed a 5-year-old Raleigh boy might have been prevented.

City inspectors say the duplex where C.J. Cooper and his family lived did not meet safety codes, nor did it have a smoke detector. Installation of smoke detectors is the responsibility of the landlord.

Inspectors say this particular landlord, Norman Stanley, has violated housing codes at some of his other rental properties.

In fact, one of his tenants, Jessica Fogg, says she refused to pay her rent until he repaired some lights, bad plumbing and mildewed walls.

Listen toaufile.

Stanley responded by taking Fogg to court.

He would not comment on allegations that he violated safety codes.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.