ZEBULON — March 31, 1996, 6:15 p.m.
A country church was unable to hold its Palm Sunday services as scheduled. A fire broke out early Sunday morning, completely engulfing the structure. No one was hurt.
The First Free Will Baptist Church in Zebulon is now a mass of charred timbers, destroyed walls and ceilings. Fire officials have assigned blame for the fire to a faulty furnace. At 7 Sunday morning, a church member started the furnace to have the sanctuary warm for services later in the morning. By 8:30, flames were pouring from the structure.
Seventy-five people belong to the church
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.