Teen Suspect in Rape Case Rearrested
One of five teens arrested last week in connection with the alleged rape of a 16-year-old Chapel Hill girl was rearrested Monday after police said he violated the terms of his bond.Posted — Updated
District Judge Joseph Buckner on Tuesday ordered Brian Gregory Minton, 16, of 118 Mann Drive, to be held under a $200,000 bond. The judge also placed him under a $50,000 bond for the charges of possessing a weapon of mass destruction and firing with the city limits.
Chapel Hill police received a report Monday that Minton had fired a weapon. When officers questioned him about the report, they found a shotgun in his home, police said.
Public Defender James Williams, who is representing Minton, said the teen is under psychiatric care.
Minton had been released on an unsecured bond last Thursday in connection with the rape case.
He and four other teens -- Mark Anthony Holland, 17; Chanquez Neville, 17; Colton O. Sanders, 17; and Sean Crawford-Brown, 17 -- were arrested two weeks ago on first-degree rape charges in connection with an alleged assault on Sept. 2 near the retail section of the Southern Village development in Chapel Hill.
The five teens are scheduled to appear in court on Friday.