Rolesville Community Collects Donations for Families Who Lost Homes in Fire
Posted June 3, 2007 5:35 p.m. EDT
Updated June 3, 2007 5:36 p.m. EDT
Rolesville, N.C. — Members of the Rolesville community came together Sunday to help two families who lost their homes to fire Friday.
Neighbors in the Village of Rolesville community went door-to-door collecting donations for the Bennett and McCord families.
The community is hoping to collect enough money to purchase gift cards from local grocery and department stores.
Neighbor AnnMarie Mehm was one of the volunteers collecting donations.
“They actually have very positive attitudes about this, and it’s wonderful how the whole community has gotten together to help them and give them whatever they need,” Mehm said.
On Friday, the fire spread quickly from one house to another and melted the siding on two other homes on Redford Place Drive. Fire investigators are looking into whether a propane tank, some furniture varnish and the heat combined to ignite the fire.
Kimberly McCord was in her house with her four daughters Friday when she saw flames.
“I screamed to my daughters,” she said. “We heard an explosion and at the whole back of the house you could see the smoke and flames coming up.”
Firefighters were able to salvage some things.
“These are all home videos from the time the kids were first born,” Chris McCord said.
A doll house Chris built for his daughters also made it through the fire.
“I’ve been working on this for months,” he said.